Summer school saw our Year 7s take part in a number of STEM activities. Students were introduced to using Bunsen burners, discovered how light can be split into different colours and investigated how to design paper helicopters effectively!
Students were also introduced to Sharples Observatory. They learned how to use software to find stars and planets and positioned the telescope accordingly.
In the next few weeks, Science Enrichment at Sharples continues with new lunchtime clubs. These include:
- Astronomy club is returning during Monday lunchtimes in G43. Find out about the stars and planets around us and learn how to use the observatory. Sign up in form time for Year 7s.
- Lego Robotics club will also be returning soon. This club will take place during Tuesday lunchtimes in G57. Applications are open, so please email Mr. Simpson if you are in Year 9 and would like to take part.
- A new “Physics clinic” will begin on Tuesday lunchtimes in G52. If you are in Year 11 and have any questions or issues related to physics, Miss Melmoth will support you in your physics development.
- Year 7 science club returns on Tuesday lunchtimes in G45 with Mr. Burke and Mr. Albrighton. Come and do some fun experiments.
- Chess club returns to Sharples. All years and abilities are welcome on Thursday lunchtimes in G46 with Mr. McCann. A chance to develop problem solving skills and take part in competitions, or just play for fun.
- A new Animal Care club will begin for Year 9 students on Wednesday lunchtimes in G41 with Miss Booth. Learn to care for a range of animals, including Romulus and Remus, the Sharples rats. If you are interested in Animal Care as an option, this is the club for you.
- Home learning clinic Friday and Monday lunchtime G52. Catch up on any home learning with support from staff.
Ambassador applications are also open. If you would like to be considered for the role, please email Mr. Simpson. Years 8-10.