Key Stage 3 Information
Points to Note
Pupils are in mixed ability sets until Year 9 when they are split into 3 sets.
History skills unit
• The Battle of Hastings and the Norman Conquest
• Medieval England
• The Tudors
• The Stuarts and the English Civil War
• The British Empire
• The Slave Trade
• The Industrial Revolution
• The Women’s Suffrage Movement
• Causes and events of WWI
• Hitler’s Germany and causes of WWII
• Events of WWII
• The Holocaust
Key Stage 4 Information
Points to Note
Pupils are in mixed ability classes in KS4 and do not start studying GCSE content until the Easter of Year 9. We use the first part of this year to build pupils contextual knowledge and exam skills through our Russia unit.
• Revolution and Communism 1894-1941
• WWII and the Cold War
AQA GCSE History
Paper One Section A: America, 1920–1973: Opportunity and inequality
• Part one: American people and the ‘Boom’
• Part two: Bust – Americans’ experiences of the Depression and New Deal
• Part three: America’s post-war society
Paper One Section B: Conflict and tension, 1918–1939
• Part one: Peace-making
• Part two: The League of Nations and international peace
• Part three: The origins and outbreak of the Second World War
Paper Two Section A: 2B Britain: Power and the people
• Part one: Challenging authority and feudalism
• Part two: Challenging royal authority
• Part three: Reform and reformers
• Part four: Equality and rights
Paper Two Section B: Elizabethan England, c1568–1603
• Part one: Elizabeth’s court and Parliament
• Part two: Life in Elizabethan times
• Part three: Troubles at home and abroad
• Part four: The historic environment of Elizabethan England (site visit)
Visit the website (http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/history/gcse/history-8145).
• History club every Wednesday lunchtime.
• Trips in KS3 to relevant Historic landmarks such as Lancaster Castle.
• International trip to the WWI battlefields.
• Site visit in Y11 to a Tudor Manor.
• Opportunities to interact with leading Historians- e.g. Live Q&A session with Dan Snow on the Battle of Hastings.