The overarching aim for English at Sharples is for all learners to read full novels, plays, poems and short stories from a range of eras and cultures, allowing them to appreciate literary heritage and make connections between the big ideas that writers explore. Our ambition is that learners will be equipped for the future with high standards of literacy and an understanding of how to use written and spoken language in a transactional and creative way.
The Sharples English Curriculum aims to ensure that all pupils:
- read easily, fluently and with good understanding
- have the opportunity to be challenged, engaged and inspired by what they read
- acquire a wide vocabulary for reading, writing and spoken language
- write clearly, accurately and coherently, adapting their language and style in and for a range of contexts, purposes and audiences
- express their ideas clearly and with developing confidence